Monday, August 11, 2008

Portables

This vacation I’ve rediscovered my portable console. I’ve bought them this spring, played on them like crazy and then forgot them in my backpack. But every time I rediscover them, I remember how cool shit can be.

There’s not much to say about the PSP – it’s like a Playstation, and you can carry it around. Has great graphics, but its major problem is that it doesn’t bring anything new to the table. Of course, it has uber cool games like God of War and Final Fantasy VII (or Metal Gear, but I haven’t played this so much so I’m not sure how good it is), but I’ve seen these games somewhere before. Then again – can you ever have enough of Kratos? Don’t think so… And FFVII is such a tease – makes you pray they remake the original game to today’s graphics. And did I mention I almost cried at the end of the game?

The Nintendo DS is a totally different piece of technology, but you have to have a little bit a gamer in you to really appreciate it. I think sharp will love its shit, as it really takes you back to the old days. From hardware standards, the DS suck – sure it has two screen (one of them being a touch screen), two processors, but comparing it to the PSP is like comparing the Voodoo 3 to a GTX280. But I always had this philosophy about games – if you limit the hardware, you let loose the imagination. So, as a developer for the DS, you don’t have to worry your head about squizing polygons on screen – you cand have 2D graphics try to make cool gameplay, so the player doesn’t notice it’s not the best looking thing in the world.

And if you get a DS, you have to play Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It’s the coolest game I’ve played, and you really can’t put it down until you encounter a puzzle that makes you smash your head against the wall. And that is cool. Also, I’m kind of ashamed by this, but I played a Pokemon game (Pokemon Diamond) and I really enjoyed it. Like really enjoyed it.

-MasterX
The God of something.

1 comment:

sharp said...

you are right that i might enjoy this toy from nintendo (if i think about it, I had like 2 gameboys when I was little, and had a lot of fun with them also :D), but you are wrong assuming that I wouldn`t like PSP :P ... the whole ideea of old games was for pc platform, where they simply lack good stories, while on playstation series, they are freaks about their stories and also about the game play ... :D ... i`ll take a look around, i`m curious if DS is still available on the market :)