Sunday, June 29, 2008

NubiSoft (to be read, noob i soft)

As I`ve said on Saturday a friend of mine (Phazzy) camed by to kick off some lan games on our brand new aquisitions, Settlers 6 and Settlers 2 (10th aniversay), both games made by BlueByte and distributed by UbiSoft.

It seems that UbiSoft tried their best to crush my second toughts regarding OLD/NEW games theory :)

Here it goes:

1) I installed the game on my pc.
2) I tried to execute the game but it started downloading an update which I let to complete.
3) I installed the update.
4) I tried to run the game.
5) Error! Please insert original DVD! (here I went: ?!?!?! WTF !?!?!?)

You can imagine the level of frustation you`re getting when you have just purchased an original game and the anti-piracy check detects that in fact your ORIGINAL DVD is a fake! :) jessus!

Aaaanyway, here`s the funny part: I ejected the dvd, tried to start the game and it worked! :) Well, not quite, it said that it didn`t detected any dvd in drive and asked me to register the game online... so I entered the serial and then it worked (without any DVD from here on).

Well, I guess that everything is alright when it ends well, so we installed the game on the other pc also, BUT (yeah, there`s a but part), when we tried to create a LAN game it failed lamentably (I won`t spend time on describing the behaviour but you`re really getting the impresion of a lame cracked game).

We ended by dropping SETTLERS 6 from our schedule and we installed SETTLERS 2 (which worked like a charm) ... QED! (old games rule!).

Now, I promised I`ll let ya know on the choppers thingy ... well, the lasers are kinnda shitty and the choppers are kinnda challenging to control but I like it. After a while you get the hang of it and you can have lots of fun by trying to land them on different objects/surfaces :)

Until next time, game on!

1 comment:

MasterX said...

Same thing happened to me with Gothic 3. But the coolest was Mass Effect - the game just didn't want to install from the original DVD so I had to download the "unofficial" version - great fuck-up EA.